These savory vegan corn waffles are the perfect catcher for a dollop of Pineapple (or Mango!) Hot Pepper Jelly. They are also amazing with Citrusy Pepper Chili or a big salad of mixed greens. Enjoy these delightful waffles any time of the day. Check out the rest of our Vegan Comfort foods here.
- 1¼ cups unsweetened plain plant-based milk of choice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tsp organic cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- 1 generous tsp smoked sea salt or fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp Sucanat or organic light brown sugar
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil or olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic medium-grind cornmeal
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- Nonstick cooking spray or oil spray
- In a medium glass measuring cup, combine the milk with the vinegar and let stand 5 minutes to curdle.
- In a small bowl, place the cornstarch and whiskwith water to dissolve. Cook in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until cloudy and thickened to a jelly-like consistency. Don’t overcook or the mixture will
get clumpy. For guaranteed non-clumpy results, double the amount of cornstarch and water, cook 1 minute and use ¼ cup of the mixture. Discard the rest. Alternatively, do this in a small saucepan
over medium heat for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk the cornstarch mixture, salt, Sucanat, oil and orange juice into the curdled milk. Sift the flour, cornmeal, nutritional yeast, baking powder, baking soda and chipotle powder on top of the
wet ingredients, and briefly whisk to combine. Don’t worry if a few lumps remain, just be sure not to overmix.
- Let stand 15 minutes, and then preheat the waffle iron. The longer the batter sits, the better the outcome. Once the iron is hot, give a quick stir to the batter, generously coat the waffle iron with
spray and cover the entire heating plate with batter, or follow the manufacturer’s specific instructions. I get a total of 12 deep-pocketed, ¾-inch thick Belgian waffles on my iron, cooking 4 at a time. Cook until golden brown and crisp. It usually takes 8 full minutes on my waffle iron heated to 400°F.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and repeat with the remaining batter. Reheat in a 325°F oven until crisp again, about 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 554Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 833mgCarbohydrates: 84gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 15g