The winner of the “Veggie Photo Contest” was Bob Severs with his Quinoa Burgers from Happy Herbivore. There were actually two winners, but I chose these burgers because they seemed like the most difficult to make. What can I say? I like a good challenge!
- 1/2 cup Quinoa
- 15oz can Black Beans (drained)
- 1 cup chopped Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 tsp TJ’s 21 Seasoning Salute (or steak seasoning)
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Tbsp Organic Virgin Coconut Oil (or cooking spray)
- 4 Whole Wheat Buns
- Cook Quinoa: Mix 1/2 cup of quinoa with 1 cup of water into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer (covered) for about 10-15 minutes. This will produce 1 cup of cooked quinoa.
- Saute onion and garlic in a skillet. After about 5 minutes, add in 1 cup black beans, paprika, seasoning, and 1 cup water to the skillet. Simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until all water has evaporated.
- Take bean/onion mixture from skillet and place into your food processor (or blender), adding 3/4 cup cooked quinoa. Blend until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Pour (or scrape) mixture into a mixing bowl. Add the remaining quinoa and black beans. Mix together with the salt, pepper flakes, wheat gluten, and flour.
- Cover bowl and place in the refrigerator to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Form patties and place them on greased baking sheet. You can use your favorite cooking oil/spray but I used coconut oil as it’s light and tasty.
Did you try my Quinoa Black Bean Burgers? Tell me what you thought below!
Serving Size:1 Burger
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 380Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 20mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 35gSugar: 0gProtein: 35g
Check out our Vegan Sandwich Recipe section for more delicious and healthy Vegan sandwiches!