Making your own fresh vegan pasta sauce is quick and simple when you own a Vitamix. Being that I only eat whole-foods, my selection at the grocery store is pretty slim. Next time you are at the grocery store, pick up a jar of your favorite sauce from the shelf. The front label will show a pretty picture of maybe some tomatoes, mushrooms, and garlic. But the ingredients list hiding on the back will shed light onto what is actually going into your sauce.
Here’s a list I pulled from a very common brand.
Store Bought Pasta Sauce (Non Vegan)
- Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste)
- Corn Syrup, Salt
- Four Cheese Blend [White Cheddar, Parmesan, Romano, Provolone Cheeses (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes),
- Lactic Acid
- Citric Acid, Natural Flavor
- Onion Powder
- Dehydrated Onion
- Soybean Oil
- Tomato Concentrate
- Carrot Fiber
- Citric Acid
Corn Syrup and Salt made the top of the list. If you look even closer, you’ll realize that Salt was added again later in the list. This is becoming common practice of the food industry. Not only is it contaminated with Corn Syrup and loads of salt, but the ingredients aren’t even fresh.
They have been dehydrated or crushed into powders before putting them in the sauce. How can that be nutritious? I believe in eating foods in their most natural form – the way that they were intended to be eaten. For me, a pasta sauce should be the simplest thing that you can fix for yourself. Here I’ll show you how to make it, not only tasty, but completely nutritious, using your Vitamix Blender.
If you want to find some more vegan sauce recipes, check out our vegan marinara sauce.
Vegan Carrot & Tomato Pasta Sauce
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1 ring of onion ( I prefer Vidalia)
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 large medjool dates
- 3-5 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon EVOO
- Italian Seasoning (Blend It Up is great)
- Ground White Pepper (A little goes a long ways)
- Kosher Salt (just a pinch)
- Take all of your fresh ingredients and add them to your Vitamix. Typically, you would want to be sure to add the softer ingredients to the blender first. For this recipe, it is not as imperative. As you can see, I put the carrots (hardest ingredient) on top so that they will blend last. This has become habit for me.
- Set the Vitamix blender base to the soup setting. (Note: If you have a 5200 or other model, simply get it to its high setting and leave it there for 2-3 minutes.) Turn it on and let it do its work. You may want to use the tamper to get it started. The Vitamix will begin emulsifying the ingredients right away.
- The Vitamix blenders use unsharpened blades. The magic is in the speed of the blades. It uses friction, which allows it to serve up hot soups, sauces, and dips.
- Once the Vitamix is done blending, open the lid and take in the aroma of your fresh pasta sauce. Remember that it will be hot. As you can see, it is steaming after only 3 minutes.
- That’s it! Pour it over your pasta and you’re ready to eat! [Note: If for some reason you prefer your sauce to be red, leave out the carrots or add a small slice of beet to give it a bright red glow]
Add your favorite vegetables (and/or meat) and dig in! You will be amazed at how great this fresh pasta sauce tastes.
This recipe yields enough pasta sauce for about 4-5 people. Any leftover sauce should be stored in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container for no more than 3 days. If you’re like me, it won’t make it past 1 day.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 114Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 172mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 5gSugar: 16gProtein: 2g
Vegan Pasta Sauce Steps In Pictures:
I hope that you have enjoyed this recipe. For others like it, keep an eye on the Recipe tab up top. I will be adding more Vitamix recipes really soon. If you would like more information on the Vitamix Blenders, send me an email via the Contact section on the top of the page. Vitamix has changed my life and I hope to see it change many others. Let’s take back control over what we put into our bodies. Share this recipe with the one’s you love.