Add some sour tamarind paste to create a slightly tangy, Vegan Tamarind Miso Soup that can become the perfect lunch with crispy baked tofu cubes and a baguette slice on the side. Also this soup is Gluten-Free!
Check out our Vegan Soup section for more soups!
- 1 tsp melted coconut oil or peanut oil
- 9 oz baby bok choy, thinly chopped whites and roughly chopped greens (kept separate)
- 3 oz trimmed and peeled young carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 cups water
- 3 tbsp white miso
- 2 tsp tamarind paste
- 2 tsp dried shiitake powder (see headnote)
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1½ tsp reduced-sodium tamari
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Generous ½ tsp ground ginger or 2 tsp grated fresh ginger root
- Garnishes: Sliced scallions, sliced daikon radish, roasted sesame seeds, chopped dry roasted unsalted peanuts, crumbled roasted nori sheet, pan-fried or roasted cubes of tofu
the oil, white parts of bok choy, carrots and garlic in a large pot. Sauté on
high heat until tender-crisp, stirring frequently, about 6 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, turn off
the heat. Place the miso, tamarind, shiitake powder, sugar, tamari, sesame oil
and ginger in a small bowl.
- Carefully remove ¼ cup of boiling water. Whisk into
the miso bowl, until thoroughly combined. Transfer this preparation into the
hot water, then stir into the vegetable pot.
- Add the green parts of the bok
choy and simmer just until wilted, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately with
garnishes of choice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 825Total Fat: 60gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 43gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1203mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 20gSugar: 17gProtein: 35g