More and more runners are running on roadways in an effort to lose weight, reduce stress, and improve overall health. While roadways are easily accessible and typically offer a smooth path for running long distances, there are precautions you should take to ensure your safety when using them. Here are some tips you should consider before venturing out into traffic:
- Carry your cell phone in case of emergencies
- Wear proper lighting and reflective clothing during night runs
- Run facing traffic
- Watch out for potholes and elevation changes in pavement
- Don’t listen to music – it’s important that you hear cars coming your way
- Know your route – getting lost is no fun, especially if you wind up in a bad neighborhood
- Tell someone where you are going
- Look both ways before crossing streets
- Run with a friend (perhaps a 4-legged one)
- Stay alert of your surroundings
- Carry identification
- Practice memorizing license tags
In 2009, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported that 4,092 pedestrians were killed in crashes with motor vehicles and 59,000 were injured. Don’t let yourself become another statistic. Take necessary measures to ensure your safety before hitting the pavement this week.
What tips do you have for road runners? Do you make safety your top priority?
Related Article: RoadID Review